WORLDLY MINDSET — Managing Context
10 day residential module
- How can I learn about context?
- How can I manage in environments that are different from competitive, cultural and institutional points of view?
- Why, where and how to internationalize?
The Worldly Mindset is about being able to shift to a different context and to see the world from other perspectives. Effective, “worldly” managers develop the cultural and social insights essential to operating in diverse regions, serving varied customer segments and partnering with other organizations. This adaptability is essential to managing in contexts that differ significantly from one’s own. This module takes place abroad, in cooperation with local faculty and businesspeople.
Managers need to develop the cultural and social insights essential to operating in diverse regions, serving varied customer segments, partnering with other organizations.
- Looking outward, to see inward
- Values, habits, and cultures
- Managing context
- Organizational and social culture
- Openness on the world
- Globalization of the economy
- Economic & financial systems
Travelling 9000 km to a place where I lost my regular benchmarks has provided me with major insight and helped me take the business elsewhere in terms of development. I must have met more than 100 very interesting human beings from such different backgrounds! Being out of your comfort zone, you have to dig deeper to bring out the best in yourself. In the end, the Worldly Mindset experience has transformed me, especially when I’m dealing with complex situations. Now, my thinking is much more “think global but act local”.
Danny Macdonald (EMBA 2011), General Director at Chsld Bayview