One of our recent graduates dared to pursue her dream of writing a novel. “An Accidental life”  has recently been released.

She relates her experience and motivation:

I am a bookworm, and I’ve always loved writing. In high school I entered short story contests on CBC Radio. In Cégep I wrote in my student newspaper. Writing a novel had always been on my retirement bucket list. After completing my EMBA, I said to myself, Why wait? Why not now?, and I’m glad I did because writing a novel is quite the learning curve! I started writing this book … less than three weeks after I finished my EMBA final research paper. Accomplishing so much (an EMBA) in 18 months makes you realize that, with self discipline, there are smarter and more satisfying ways to use one’s idle time. A novel can be written in five to ten-page increments. The EMBA taught me I had this time.

The book is already garnering great reviews and was recently nominated for the American Booksellers Association’s INDIE NEXT LIST tempting the author to start writing her second novel sooner than later.

Summary of the novel, available on amazon:

In the 1970s, William Hill asks seventeen-year-old Margaret Wilcox from Saratoga Springs to marry him. With no alternatives in sight, Margaret says yes to a life modeled on the pattern created by the women before her. Fifteen years later, the opportunity to dabble in her repressed aspirations leads her to take on a secret identity and explore the life that might have been. Margaret is soon tangled up in her double life more than she expected and finds herself trapped in a dead end from which she can no longer escape. The truth, which could set her free, keeps eluding her as someone else is receiving the clues she needs to see the full picture. As the betrayals pile up and the secrets unravel, Margaret finds herself now a middle-aged woman with a choice to make: own her life, or stay hidden behind a wall of social expectations. An Accidental Life is an enticing novel exploring how well we know ourselves and others. It raises thought-provoking questions around identity, truth, and commitment, in a highly readable and relatable way.

Follow the author on social media:

Instagram @chelseacannon_author

Facebook @chelseacannonauthor